Friday, August 22, 2014

What A Difference A Year Makes...


A year ago today I wrote this blog (http://www.michellecourt84.blogspot.ie/2013/08/weight-theres-too-much-of-it.html) expressing my frustration and upset about my weight. All I wanted was to look in the mirror and not be disgusted by what I saw. I knew the bigger problem was me, and my lack of motivation. But something changed with me this time. I was determined to do it, to not be that fat, lazy slob on the couch constantly feeling sorry for myself. To my surprise, I actually kept it up and I’m delighted to say that I have lost four stone!!!

The feeling I get when I go into my wardrobe and try on stuff that wouldn’t go near me a year ago, and now they’re too big is incredible. That dress I was talking about in that last blog post? I ended up exchanging it for a coat that was a size 18. This year I’m just after buying a coat and it’s a size 10!! It’s moments like this that makes all the hard work and sacrifice completely worth it. Because it has been a tough journey. I feel like I’ve been boring and living the life of a hermit most of the time, but it’s also been so rewarding.

I wish I could pinpoint what that change in is, but I don’t think there was just one. I feel that there were a number of factors that helped me:

1. It’s not good enough to just want it; you have to have the motivation to work at it:
I used to sit on the couch eating junk food, feeling guilty, saying “tomorrow I’m going to work out, and eat better.” But that never happened until I was just so tired of feeling crap about myself that there was nothing for me to do except get up off my fat ass and do something about it. There are definitely days when you feel like doing nothing because you’re too tired or feeling down, but you just need to get up and do it. Those are the days that will feel most rewarding. You never regret a workout.

2. Find a plan that works best for you:
What people need to realise is that it’s a lifestyle change. You can’t be completely focused on your weight and every lb you want to lose. Your mind set needs to be on getting fit and healthy rather than getting skinny. Exercise and healthy eating has so many more rewarding benefits, like more energy, a clearer mind, a more positive and happier attitude. Figure out a good exercise programme that you can follow and educate yourself on healthy eating. If you do that and keep it up, then the weight will take care of itself. I know I’m not a gym person. I don’t think many of us are. What I love is being out doors in the fresh air. I put on my music and go for walk/jog and instantly feel better. I’m much more motivated to do that then going to a stuffy gym. And it’s free!

3. Don’t be too hard on yourself:
We all have a bad week, and that’s okay. Whether it’s because there’s a lot of stuff on, or your motivation is lacking, we’ve all been there. You should be able to relax and enjoy yourself every once in a while without feeling guilty. (I still love my pizzas and Sunday is my ‘cheat’ day). Just don’t let it become a habit and the way to do that is to get back into it asap! It is so easy to get back into your old bad habits if you let it!

4. Support and encouragement from friends and family:
If you really want to do this then you need the support and encouragement from your loved ones. If you’re living with someone, then get them to eat healthy with you as well. Get a friend to go for a walk with you. If you feel like you would do better with the support of a group like Weight Watchers, or a personal trainer at a gym, then do it. Also, emotional support is just as important. My family and friends have been fantastic with their support and compliments, and it really encourages me to keep going. I’ve even been approached by people I don’t really know telling me how much weight I’ve lost and it’s great to know your hard work is being noticed!

5. Set small goals:
If, like me, you have a lot of weight to lose, then I found it easier to set small goals for myself. I didn’t really focus on my weight, but more on my clothes. The jeans in my wardrobe are going to fit me; then that dress; treat yourself to something that’s too tight, so you’ll want to keep going to fit into it. That feeling when you reach these goals is why you’re doing this. The same goes for your exercise regime. If you’re trying to become a runner, then you need to up your speed and length, and there are a load of apps now that can help, and you’ll be doing a marathon in no time ;-)

6. Realise how far you’ve come, and be proud of yourself:
Whether you’ve been doing it a week or a year, it still makes a difference! I remember when I first started, I was still recovering from my sprained knee, and that first week I perfected the power limp walk! I only did it for 20-30 minutes, but by week 2, I was able to walk for 50 minutes to an hour. Now I’m jogging and hoping to enter a fun run sometime soon.

I didn’t know what would happen that first day I decided to do this. I honestly didn’t imagine that I’d get this far. I really just couldn’t picture it, because I always gave up. There were times even now when I wanted to give up. But I didn’t, and that, more than the losing weight, gives me a bigger satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment